Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Abusive Priests

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Art
November 18, 2004 06:41PM
I hope this is the correct forum for addressing a serious problem that has affected my family and the families of a number of parishoners. The priest in question, an adherant of the Old Calendar and accepted by the Greek Archdiocese of North and South America would impose guilt and misery on his flock for the purpose of controlling them in a clutish lock. While all of this was going on, he became divorced and pursued an illicit relationship with a young woman in the community. My greatest distress in all of this was the the ignoring of this terrible situation by the Metropolitan. I and at least one other member of a sister parish had written to His Eminence complaining about a personal ad put out by this renegade priest, searching for a "partner" while he was still married.

My letter was never answered, but a year later, after the cries of the parishoners finally reached the ears of the Metropolitan, the priest was finally suspended.

How could this happen? How much of a warning is necessary before a tragedy that visited our Roman Catholic brethen would happen to the Orthodox church. Oh, wait a minute, it has already happened in the past.

Lessons learned?

P.S. I have not included any names because I do not believe it necessary since the priest is no longer active in the Archdiocese. My question only asks how this could have happened in the first place.
Subject Author Posted

Abusive Priests

Art November 18, 2004 06:41PM