Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Valid Apostolic Succession

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
September 04, 2002 07:26PM
Thomas,

I appreciate your response, which in turn makes me pose some new questions.

1. Are you sure that the majority of the patriarchs or bishops believe that the patriarch was in error is celebrating the eucharist with the pope? Are there any web sites that document their condemnation of this? I ask this because couldn't it be possible that the orthodox church still views the catholic church as having valid orders/apostolic succession, even though they are not in communion with the orthodox church ( I know that the roman catholic church still views the orthodox church as having valid holy orders)

2. I don't believe in the immaculate conception of mary; however, I don't think that the catholic church would ever make a dogma of mary being an equil redempter like Jesus, I think that the catholic church has been missunderstood on this point with the whole "co-redemptrix" thing. In all fairness, what the RCC means by this is that mary cooperated with God in the plan of redemption, unlike eve; however, she is not a "savior". In fact, everything that I have read from the current pope condemns any notion of mary being an equil redemer like Jesus.

3. I'm sure that there are many theological differences amongst orthodox theologians. It seems that many of the differences between orthodoxy and roman catholicism are minor. I don't think that these minor differences would determine whether one would spend eternity in heaven or hell.

4. What exactly do the orthodox believe about purgatory, or somekind of intermediate state between heaven and earth when you die. I have read different things by different orthodox theologians. It seems that quite a few believe in some kind of intermediate state. (personaly, i don't believe in purgatory, but I am open minded. I need to study more of the church fathers and see what they had to say)

With all of that being said, I don't want to leave you with the impression that I am Roman Catholic. I am, in fact, part of the Charismatic Episcopal Church. (Never had any afffiliation the anglican or episcopal church). We all have a profound and deep respect for the orthodox church. I am a big fan of Alexandar Schmeman!

God bless

Jake
Subject Author Posted

Valid Apostolic Succession

Jake September 02, 2002 08:42PM

Thomas September 04, 2002 01:09PM

Jake September 04, 2002 07:26PM

G. Scharoubim January 01, 2003 12:56AM