Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

40-day post-partum seclusion

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nan
June 13, 2005 03:17AM
The 40-day post-partum seclusion is a beautiful tradition, especially in this all-too-busy modern world. I have always wondered about it. I first heard of this while visiting a Greek Orthodox church, but I didn't get the chance to ask anyone.

Why are new mothers forbidden to set foot inside a church until 40 days after giving birth? And why is there no difference between the births of boys and girls?

When I looked this up in the Bible, I did not find this in the New Testament. I did find something like it in Leviticus chapter 12, with the births of boys treated very differently from births of girls. Moses dictated a 40-day seclusion for mothers of newborn boys, with her being declared unclean for 7 days, the boy being circumcised on the 8th day, and 33 more days of purification before the mother makes her atonement. Yet an 80-day seclusion is dictated for mothers of newborn girls, with the mother being unclean for 14 days, followed by 66 days of purification.
Subject Author Posted

40-day post-partum seclusion

Nan June 13, 2005 03:17AM

Re: 40-day post-partum seclusion

Jennifer September 12, 2005 06:32AM

Re: 40-day post-partum seclusion

James September 28, 2005 05:15PM