Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Lutheran to Orthodox

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
June 30, 2004 02:47AM
Hi Jesse,

I was LDS (mormon) but left the church at 23. I became agnostic for a few years until I discovered the faith and relationship I had with the Lord pre conversion to the LDS (birth to 11). I tried a number of churches while studying history trying to decide if the church fell away (as the Mormons and reformed claim) or if there was an apostacy with a small remnant group (the ana-baptist) or if the church remained from the establishment (Roman Catholic). You might notice I didn't include the Orthodox church...because I didn't know anything about the Orthodox.

I ended up happy in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) but I found that it to was going the way of so many protestant traditions...contemporary. Praise and Worship Music, open communion, etc, etc. Then there is the question of the coming split amongst confessional lutherans and reformed tainted lutherans in the synod. I moved to a very liberal area and found the LCMS parish using "The Message" by Eugene Peterson as scripture. I didn't know what to do, I could have cried. Then I remembered reading an article in the newspaper months before I moved, by a Greek Orthodox Priest. I had even contemplated seeing what the parish was like before I moved away but sadly I did not. So I looked into Orthodox Churches in my new area. I found that there were three, a Jerusalem, Antiochian, and Greek Parish. There was even a Orthodox publisher and book store, Conciliar Press. I spent a couple months reading about Orthodoxy when suddenly I was transfered back to the area we had just moved from. I started attending the Liturgy at the Greek Parish and fell in love with it. I won't say it hasn't been a struggle. My wife doesn't like Orthodoxy at all. The Icons scare her (she has wierd phobia's). She is also a WASP so the Greekness is a turn off. You may find some ethinc orthodox that are there for the community rather than the faith, it's not unlike the Lutheran church was a hundred years ago, with masses in German, Oma's waffles, etc.

If I can be of any assistance please feel free to e-mail me or communicate on this list. My best to you and your wife in your jounrney. God's Blessings!

David
Subject Author Posted

Lutheran to Orthodox

Jesse June 25, 2004 03:07AM

David June 30, 2004 02:47AM

James July 01, 2004 05:05PM

James July 02, 2004 02:22PM

Patrick July 02, 2004 01:36AM