Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Council Woes

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
July 03, 2005 03:48AM
I have served as a council member at my church (Russian/Serb Orthodox) for a couple of years. I have since resigned my position because of the disappointments the other members have given me. Money is the key issue of all the meetings in my church and I assume that it is so with all churches. I have sat and listened to those on the council (that are financially well off) talk trash on the congregation. They generalize how members do not give enough. I have heard such things like, “We pray for them every week and the least they can do is give every week.” And “If you do not attend church every week you should still give every week.” The church I attend is not that bad off as far as money goes. From looking and discussing the budget, my church’s biggest problem is poor management of the funds. I remember last year when the council members said that we were $7,000 in the red. They all started blaming the congregation for not giving as much. The problem was really that they had spent $7,000 on a brand new industrial size oven and refrigerator the month before. I also tried to explain to them that the economy is not that good and the medium income of people dropped $40,000 a year to $33,000 a year. I had more success of trying to clap with one hand then to try and explain these factors. What really upset me was when our priest said in a sermon that no one can take communion unless they give money. The OCA later told our priest that he can’t say that. The priest at the church I attend said in a council meeting that people need to give more and have faith that God will provide and give in return. I wanted to ask him why he expected others to have faith while he has none! It is hypocrisy to me when we ask others to have faith that money will come their way, but not have the same faith that money will come the churches way. Does anyone else have these kinds of problems in their church? Am I just preaching to the choir? I believe people can tithe in different ways according to their abilities. Some teach, some labor, some give money, and some do a bit of them all. I do not believe that people should give beyond their means nor should they be pressured into such. Please enlighten me with your experiences and comments; I know I can use them.
Subject Author Posted

Council Woes

David July 03, 2005 03:48AM