Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the beginning of life

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
January 17, 2002 04:18AM
Now, this is something I'm very interested in. The OCA has now issued TWO statements in four months on human cloning. And let me say from the beginning that you do NOT assume that I believe those statements are wrong. In my opinion, the logic used to reach their decision is flawed, or, maybe, fuzzy. Human life should never be created in order to be destroyed. One of the main questions I have is, has the Church always believed that life begins at conception? Throughout most of history people didn't know what conception was, they had no clue what really happened. The mother knew she was pregnant when she started feeling morning sickness or any of the other symptoms, when the embryo implanted itself and started taking over her body. I don't see how this idea of "conception" has much place historically, but somewhere it has entered into Christian doctrine. So, what do the Church Fathers say? What position has the Chruch taken? I don't mean to be antagonistic to any Protestant, but at least half to three-fourths of the letter issued by Met. Theodosius and the statement of the Holy Synod of the OCA sound like one of those Sunday morning political sermons from the pulpit of a Protestant church. Well, that's enough for now.
I want to hear what anyone has to say about this, from the totally religious to the totally scientific. I look forward to our discussion.
Andrew
Subject Author Posted

the beginning of life

Andrew January 17, 2002 04:18AM

Re: the beginning of life

Christine February 25, 2002 10:46PM

Re: the beginning of life

Danny Bramwell August 24, 2003 03:26AM