Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: the beginning of life

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
August 24, 2003 03:26AM
Hi Andrew,

I'm very sorry no one has gotten back to you in such a long time on such an important matter. Not that I'm an expert. I merely have an opinion I think is in accord with the sentiment of the Holy Faith.You be the judge.
We are taught in the Gospels that our God Jesus assumed humanity at the point of conception. This particular conception as you know is to be immaculate. A gospel ensample:"Behold a Virgin shall conceive, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is God with us." (Matt. 1:23) "...take unto to thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." (Matt. 1:20b) Also we are taught by the Apostle St. Paul in his letter to the Hebrews that "Wherefore in all things it behoved Him to be made like unto His brethren in all things,...." We know that Jesus saw his brethren as beginning their human lives at conception, because conception is where He chose to begin His own human life.
From Lactantius to the present, no Church Father has found human abortion anything less than homicide tantamount to that which could be committed against an adult. There has never been a "lesser human" view within in the holy faith that might allow for human abortion or say a system of chattel slavery such as in Islam or the antebellium Protestant South of the U.S.. These are Protestant & Muslim, not Orthodox concepts. Similarly, you'll find a great deal of Protestants refuse Baptism and Eucharist to their babies, showing clear bias and prejudicial views of their children being somehow inferior to adults. Abortion was born or reborn in this religio-philisophical enviroment, revived from the pagan Roman Empire.
St Basil was often explicit in his condemnation of human abortion.Reply if you want his canons on the subject. Sorry, I'll have to relocate those. As early as 314 Anno Domini the Synod of Ancyra canon XXI prescribed the punishment or penence of murderers on those, not only killing their own babies but participating in any way, shape, or form, in the crime. Quinisext Anno Domini 692, canon XCI reads; "Those who give drugs for procuringabortion, and those who receive poisons to kill the foetus, are subjected to the penalty of murder."
Brother Andrew, human abortion as well as studies in embryology will never advance beyond what God has decreed and preserved in Sacred Scripture, (the pinnacle of Tradition) and the rest of Sacred Tradition. Hey, that's my opinion anyhow. Please opine back. smiling smiley
Sorry if I sounded harsh. I really don't mean to be. I'm hoping only to present a cogent position in defense of what I am convinced is true.

For the Messiah & the Restoration
Danny
Subject Author Posted

the beginning of life

Andrew January 17, 2002 04:18AM

Christine February 25, 2002 10:46PM

Danny Bramwell August 24, 2003 03:26AM