Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Future of OCA

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
August 26, 2002 08:24PM
With the election of Metropolitan Herman - what do you envision for the future of the OCA in the next ten years? There are many who think this election is just and interim one until another leader can be found or primed. Or because there are talks between the OCA and the Antiochians. If some type of agreement was reached between the two, then both Metropolitan Phillip and Herman would retire and a new leader would be picked. Many envision Bishop Basil from the Antiochian Archdiocese who seems to be well loved and respected by people in both jursdictions.
Please don't misunderstand this post and take it that I am disappointed in the election of Metropolitan Herman. I am not. He was/is my diocesean Bishop. I have seen what he has accomplished at St Tikhons and have the utmost respect for his work and organizational abilities. But I worry about him health wise. He already has had some mini strokes and is not in the best of health. He is known to be a workaholic and the stress could be too much for him.
Would like to hear some thoughts on the future of the OCA and the part it would or should playduring the next ten years.. Do you see the automony of the Antiochians as the first step in a united church?
Quite honestly, I recently read an interview Metropolitan Phillip gave to the Greek press and was not only disappointed but angered in what he said concerning Orthodox unity here in the U.S. He seemed to imply that it can't be accomlished without the Greek support and approval. He seemed to imply it will be accomplished by the Greeks and Antiochians. The already autocephalous OCA was not even mentioned. If one read between the lines, he seemed to be saying he was disappointed in the election of Metropolitan Herman and has no confidence in the OCA abilities.
Would be interested in your comments.

Bob (OrthoMan)
Subject Author Posted

Future of OCA

OrthoMan August 26, 2002 08:24PM

Re: Future of OCA

Alex August 29, 2002 10:46PM

Re: Future of OCA

jake October 08, 2003 10:11PM