Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Learning Orthodoxy

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
March 21, 2004 08:27AM
I am still a catechumen, having moved a lot over the past two years, lacking a distinct period of commitment to any one parish that would allow me, my priest and The Holy Spirit to agree on the right time for my Christmation.

My Spiritual Father, Father Parthenios Turner of St. John the Wonderworker Missionary Parish (under the Bulgarian Patriarchate) of Nashville, Tennessee had this to say to me when I first came to him asking for books and theological lessons on Orthodoxy:

"Let the liturgy be your teacher".

He further explained to me that the need for a rationalistic explanation of Orthodoxy ("Right Belief/Right Worship"winking smiley is peculiar to Western thinkers, warping the viewpoints of Western Christians all the way back to Augustine.

This is also why the Filioque (change in the Nicean Creed from "who proceeds from The Father" to "who proceeds from The Father and The Son"winking smiley is so crucial to Orthodoxy.

Once The Western Church proceeded down the path of enthroning human rationalism, it was only a matter of time before an official position was taken to "dethrone" The Holy Spirit.

This also explains why many in the Orthodox Church have resisted reaching out to Protestants, Catholics and others in the west. Our western thought patterns are so deeply ingrained from childhood, it is often too difficult for us to "let go and let God". Eastern Orthodox simply find us too resistant to the mystical nature of Orthodoxy, and they easily tire of our endless, "Yes, but what ifs?"

I may have misspelled a lot, and I may have said something here that will mislead someone. I ask your and God's forgiveness if that be so.

I simply know a simple truth:

"Let the liturgy be your teacher"

Gordius Ignatius

P.S. If you are looking for something to read, read the lives of the Saints, for in their lives we see Othodoxy incarnate.
Subject Author Posted

Learning Orthodoxy

Gordius Ignatius March 21, 2004 08:27AM

Re: Learning Orthodoxy

James March 23, 2004 05:36AM

Edward April 01, 2004 03:08PM

Boricua_Orthodox May 30, 2004 02:25AM

Mike July 16, 2004 05:32AM