Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Learning Orthodoxy

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
May 30, 2004 02:25AM
Hi!!!

I agree Edward about the depth of Orthodox teaching in the Holy Fathers but i also agree with Gordius about the Liturgy being our teacher as well The same Kallistos Ware has said this. The Liturgy is where we meet God face to face sacramentally and it is Theology in action. Read the texts of the Liturgy and we will learn so much about God and our relationship with Him. Orthodoxy is meant to be experienced then reflected upon.: A theologian is one who prays and one who prays is a theologian. I believe everyone knows the Liturgy is the most important action a Christian can do. If not read Fr. Schmemman's "For The Life of the World" We are at our highest when we worship the Most Holy Trinity. We are made to worship because we were made to be in union with God!

Books on Orthodoxy are great supplementals to the Liturgy. As rightly expressed before, they help us understand what and why and WHOM we worship. The lives of the saints are awesome as well becuase these are living proofs of the trnasforming power of the Gospel! If u want to be a winner then hang out with the winners! The saints are just that: winners in Christ J whose examples continue to inspire and instruct. Modern books on Orthodoxy are good also i agree 100% but for a beginner experience is the key because God is not a concept but the Living God of our Fathers. I rather experience what compunction is than to just read what it is. Welll, enuff of the sermon...lol. I hope i got my point across.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit...now and ever and unto the ages of ages .Amen!
Subject Author Posted

Learning Orthodoxy

Gordius Ignatius March 21, 2004 08:27AM

James March 23, 2004 05:36AM

Edward April 01, 2004 03:08PM

Boricua_Orthodox May 30, 2004 02:25AM

Mike July 16, 2004 05:32AM