Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finding a Spiritual Father

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
July 05, 2002 03:19AM
Does anyone have any advice on finding a spiritual father (or mother, unless that relationship has to be same gendered)? I think I read somewhere that it should be your parish priest, but doesn't have to be. I adore both my priests and have a very warm and loving relationship with one in particular as well as his wife. I go to confession two or three times a month and always confess to him unless he's not available. Is that it? I feel like there should be something more. I'm a recent convert and don't really have a clear idea of what a spiritual father should even do. I'm a bit shy about talking to Father . . . let's call him Father X because I don't want to impose on his time (they both work like field-hands) but I have a sense that I'm not moving forward now that I'm in the Church. By no means do I want to imply that Fathers X & Y are doing something wrong. I love them both and have great respect for them. I'm sure they would be open to my talking to them about this, but this is as clear as I can get on the subject. Also, what if you don't WANT your priest as your spiritual father? What if you don't want someone who you see all the time, have dinner with, etc etc? Are there limits to that relationship? I love Father X and Presbytera and have been a guest in their home at Christmas and for dinner and don't want to lose that friendship but I wonder if one can be friends with one's SF. Of course, it would help me figure this out if I had a better understanding of the whole SF thing.

Staggering toward Home,

Isaac
Subject Author Posted

Finding a Spiritual Father

Isaac July 05, 2002 03:19AM

Re: Finding a Spiritual Father

James July 05, 2002 12:57PM

James July 05, 2002 02:12PM

Damian July 06, 2002 01:22AM