Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Finding a Spiritual Father

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
James
July 05, 2002 02:12PM
Isaac, you raise a very interesting issue: that of the role of a spiritual father. I've been Orthodox for twelve years now and in that time I have had two father/confessors (both my parish priests) and two spiritual fathers (one my parish priest and the other a hieromonk). Currently I do not have a spiritual father and that is a burden I have to bear as does my wife. I've discovered that what we read in books such as those describing the Optina Fathers, often does not bear out in real life... at least it hasn't for me. Unlike you, I've actually asked and I've tried to develop relationships with my priests (I've had to relocate once) but I've discovered that this is not always possible. In my own case, two priests have simply not responded. My wife and I live at a considerable distance from our church (it's a five hour round trip for us so we can only be in the liturgy once a month). The priest in question has steadfastly refused to answer most of our email to the point that we've simply given up. I suppose we're too much bother or he's too busy... I don't know and at this point I no longer really care. I've simply given the idea up as an idealistic sort of notion.

While it hasn't worked out for me, I hope it works out for you. Why not simply put the question to your priest and see if he would be willing to act as such? Let HIM make the decision rather than trying to second-guess him. Best wishes to you.
Subject Author Posted

Finding a Spiritual Father

Isaac July 05, 2002 03:19AM

James July 05, 2002 12:57PM

James July 05, 2002 02:12PM

Damian July 06, 2002 01:22AM

Isaac July 06, 2002 10:47PM