Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Finding a Spiritual Father

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
July 06, 2002 10:47PM
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. The answers are very helpful (and James, I'm sorry to hear your priest is so unresponsive. THAT would be very disheartening). I think you're right, I should just ask the question more directly of my priest. I had lunch with him yesterday and said I just wanted a "spiritual checkup" because I don't feel like Vespers, Sunday and daily prayers is enough. Unfortunately, the conversation quickly digressed to other topics. I don't know why I feel so awkward around this issue, except that I vaguely remember asking once (now I'm not even sure if it was him or an internet priest) where one got a spiritual father and being told it should be one's parish priest (though can be, as suggested by your posts, a monk or hieromonk). Anyway, I worry that I'll get in a situation where I have to say "you aren't cuttin' it" and I don't want to hurt his feelings. Still, you're correct, I need to discuss the issue with him more directly and I will.

Does anyone know if there is precedent for having a "virtual" spiritual-father? When I was exploring becoming Orthodox I met an Archimandrite on-line with whom I hit it off. We've lost touch but I've got his email and he might be willing to consider it it (IF, of course, I decide I can't make a go of it with my own priest) but I'm not sure such is even appropriate.
Subject Author Posted

Finding a Spiritual Father

Isaac July 05, 2002 03:19AM

James July 05, 2002 12:57PM

James July 05, 2002 02:12PM

Damian July 06, 2002 01:22AM

Isaac July 06, 2002 10:47PM