Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Finding a Spiritual Father

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
July 07, 2002 01:45AM
I agree with Ron -- it really would be best to find someone relatively nearby that you can have a personal, face-to-face relationship with -- especially at the beginning. Words written over e-mail or any other "virtual" medium are so easily misinterpreted, subject to confusion, etc.

Of course, if it's just not possible, and you do have someone you feel comfortable corresponding with, that's probably better than nothing.

About parish priests, I do think you're right, Isaac -- you should try to be sensitive/careful not to offend or wound inasmuch as it's possible. But not to the risk of your own spiritual well-being! There are many parish priests who are excellent parish priests -- but that does not mean that they are excellent spiritual fathers. The two roles can at times be very different and have very different sets of skills, experiences, charismata, etc. that are necessary. And oftentimes there are parish priests who just assume that they are entitled to that role by virtue of being the parish priest -- one of my parish priests (we have two) is an example. With love and respect for him, I can honestly say that he is just not mature enough to be a spiritual father (especially to people older than him with more experience in life). But for some reason he feels that he should play a role that is well beyond his capacities (at this point anyway -- of course everyone can change and grow). Anyway, that's not something one could easily tell him directly without hurting his feelings...

The other thing is, I don't think the idea that a priest is "too busy" is really an obstacle to finding a good spiritual father. If the priest is someone who should be a spiritual father, he will make the time -- in fact, that is what his time is all about. Like Ron's example, my own spiritual father is constantly on the go from the crack of dawn until late at night, running around from hospitals to people's homes, to youth retreats, to church services, to this and that and the other thing. But he always makes time (perhaps not the precise moment that would be most convenient for his spiritual children, but that's something we have to understand) for confessions and spiritual guidance. It's just part of what being a priest means to him. Meanwhile, other priests may feel that if they put in a 20 or 30 or 40 hour week, it's giving a lot and they should be left to their privacy after that. It all depends...

In Christ,
Damian
Subject Author Posted

Finding a Spiritual Father

Isaac July 05, 2002 03:19AM

James July 05, 2002 12:57PM

James July 05, 2002 02:12PM

Damian July 06, 2002 01:22AM