Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: conversion?

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
WASP
January 01, 2004 12:53AM
As a WASP (White Anglo Saxon Parishioner) in the Greek Church in the South I would like to add my two cents worth. During the early part of the twentith century Greeks in the South were the target of groups such as the KKK. I think this would cause them to look to each other and protect themselves in ways we may not understand. Unfortunatly this may have caused some to embrace a discimanatory mindset when it comes to converts. Althought it is a sad reality I am confident it will change in the future. It was not that long ago that the Irish and other immigrants were in the same boat.

Our experience in the Greek Church has been more positive than negative, although we have heard stories. I wonder though if some Greeks are burying thier treasure in Hellenism like the servant in the parable of the talents. We need to pray for those that feel they are "safe guarding" the Faith instead of taking a risk and investing it. Remember all investments have a risk but it is that risk they must take so when the meet the High Priest they will hear, "well done good and faithful servant".

Ironically while many Greeks are concerned that converts will water down the Faith, it is the converts who want to get rid of the organs, pews, and Western Icons.

In the end my Faith is in the Holy Spirit to right the wrongs and lead us into all Truth. I am reminded of Saint Nectarios. Even when other Priests and even his own Bishop, tried to prevent his influence the Holy Spirit could not be stopped.

On a final note, when my wife stuggles with these issuses I remind her that this is the Church of the Marytrs. And if this is all the Maryterdom we have to endure we are getting off pretty easy. I havn't had my fingernails pulled out or been thrown to wild beasts. And the Saints took on those with enthusiasm. So off to Church I go :-)

One piece of advice: Church is not a place we go. Church starts in the home (all our services are in English). We are Priests in our own house so we must be carful that we do not fall into the same sins we judge others of.

In Christ,
WASP
Subject Author Posted

conversion?

deegee October 16, 2003 04:09AM

James October 27, 2003 03:09PM

deegee October 27, 2003 04:52PM

Christopher Massad February 06, 2005 10:50PM