Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A Baptist with questions

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
June 20, 2005 01:52AM
I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you on a number of issues:

- Accepting Jesus Christ as one's personal savior is done exactly how? Praying a prayer? I'm afraid you will be hard-pressed to find this in the bible. Yes, I know that Paul tells us that if we believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths, we will be saved. BUT... BUT... you're going to have to stop isolating scriptures and take ALL of it. What ELSE is said in those scriptures regarding salvation? Well...

(John 3:5) Jesus answered, "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of WATER and Spirit." (there are a multitude of verses bearing out the necessity of baptism in conjunction with personal belief and declaration. After all... the devils believe but their belief does not save them.

Just one more verse:
(Acts 2:37,38) Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and they asked Peter and the other apostles, "What are we to do, my brothers?"
2:38 Peter (said) to them, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the holy Spirit."

Anything else mentioned in the Bible besides this? Uh huh... let's see what else our Lord has to say in John:

6:53 Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
6:54 Whoever eats * my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
6:55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
6:56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

In other words, it is necessary to partake of the Eucharist... that is to commune of the REAL Body and Blood of our Lord and Savior, in order that we might have life. He feeds us just as miraculously as He fed with the bread from Heaven (manna) the Israelites of old as they wandered in the desert.

Anyway, there is sooo much more that a simplistic believe and be saved notion of modern day evangelicals but I haven't the time to go into it now.

You keep bringing up the catholic church (you are aware, I hope, that the Orthodox Church is NOT the Roman Catholic Church...right?) and a number of cults (i.e. Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses) that I'm a bit perplexed. Why?

You are also confused about the terms intercessor versus intermediary. Mary, the Blessed Theotokos, is our interecessor NOT our intermediary. You see.... she is alive in the Lord just as our all the Saints (that great cloud of witnesses spoken of in Hebrews) and as such she can and does intercede for us with her Son (as she did at Cana) if we ask her. Just as I can ask my dear wife to pray for me, I can also ask the Blessed Theotokos for her prayers. And I can tell you unequivocally that she HAS answered our prayers many times over, thanks be to God. Our dear ones are not dead... they are alive in the Lord. Six feet of earth does not separate us from their love and witness of our struggles here below, as it were.

The Church, which our Lord built, is the Holy Orthodox Church and not some splinter group from some splinter group in Protestantism (numbering a little over 32,000 plus denominations). Only the Orthodox Church can demonstrate historically that it has been here from the very beginning. The churches started by Paul and Silas and Barnabas are still here you see. The fullness of what our Lord bequeathed His Church is found only in the Holy Orthodox Church. That is not to say that those in some Evangelical group are not going to be in Heaven. Orthodoxy says it knows where the Church is but it does not know where the Church is not. Thus it is apparent that our Lord has His chosen ones in other bodies which in some way constitute a part of His Body but in what sense we simply do not know. He will have mercy upon whomsoever He will have mercy. That is not my perogative to damn anyone else or to presume to tell Himthat I MUST be saved since I believe on Him. All of us will face the judgment and He will do what is right in His own eyes.

Anyway... it is far more complex than the simplistic message you posted as is reading the sacred scriptures. Just to prove my point... if reading those scriptures were so simple, we would not have 32,000 plus Protestant denominations each claiming to "rightly divide the Word of Truth" through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and yet coming up with vastly differing interpretations of those selfsame scriptures. No... true authority to interpret the scriptures ONLY resides within the Body of Christ (the Church) and not some individual. That is why Protestantism is such a scandal to those seeking the narrow way of salvation. It is also why those who discover the authentic Orthodox Church finally "come home to the faith of Peter and Paul.
Subject Author Posted

A Baptist with questions

Bry McClellan May 10, 2005 11:43PM

James May 24, 2005 08:14PM

al June 19, 2005 11:57PM

James June 20, 2005 01:52AM

Bry McClellan June 20, 2005 05:41AM